Food Information to Consumers Regulation (EU 1169/2011)
Posted at 17:00 in : Customer News
On 13th December 2014 new food labelling regulations come into force in the UK as part of the implementation of the EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation (EU FIC).
The new legislation will bring general and nutrition labelling together into a single regulation to simplify and consolidate existing labelling legislation. The regulations in particular change the way companies must label allergens.
What does this mean for Mars Drinks products and machines?
Mars Drinks has updated all drinks packaging and OUTLOOK and K450 machine labels in the UK in line with the requirements of the new regulation. You will start to see the following changes:
Changes applicable to KLIX series machine labels
• KLIX OUTLOOK and KLIX 450 machine labels updated to improve legibility, harmonise nutrition labelling and comply with allergen declarations.
• Allergens clearly labelled on KLIX series machine labels with a ‘contains/may contain’ statement.
• The format of nutritional information on KLIX OUTLOOK and KLIX 450 machine labels changed to either consist of energy value alone or energy value together with the amounts of fat, saturates, sugars, and salt per cup.
To request new labels for your KLIX series machine simply contact our Customer Services team on 0870 600 20 30.
Changes applicable to KLIX sleeving (foil packaging of KLIX cups):
• Allergens highlighted in bold within the ingredients list rather than a ‘contains’ statement at the end of the list on all KLIX sleeving.
• Specific vegetable fats and oils stated in the ingredients list (e.g. palm oil or coconut oil rather than just vegetable oil) along with specifying if fats are fully hydrogenated.
• Nutritional information will start to be implemented on all KLIX sleeving except for black tea and coffee.
All allergen and ingredient updates will be applied to products produced in our factory by 13th December 2014. Any products that are produced before this date will detail the old labelling and is permitted to be sold until stocks run out. For this reason you may initially see product with both formats of labelling.
Changes applicable to Single Serve (products for use in FLAVIA machines):
• Allergens highlighted in bold within the ingredients list rather than a ‘contains’ statement on all cases of GALAXY hot chocolate, Fabulous Froth Original, Fabulous Froth Mocha and MARS Fabulous Froth.
• FLAVIA Freshpacks are not categorised as prepacks under the legislation and carry a stand-alone statement on pack regarding allergens present as “contains xx”. Note this only impacts the froths and hot chocolate. Teas and coffees contain none of the allergens that require labelling.
As with KLIX products all allergen and ingredient updates will be applied to products produced in our factory by 13th December 2014. Any products that are produced before this date will detail the old labelling and is permitted to be sold until stocks run out.